The Karavanke tunnel
At 7864 metres, the Karavanke tunnel between Slovenia and Austria is the longest road tunnel in the Republic of Slovenia. It is excluded from the e-vignette toll collection, meaning that every passage through the tunnel with a vehicle with a permissible maximum weight of up to 3,500 kg needs to be paid for separately.
The tunnel toll is specified in the Decree on the Karavanke Tunnel Toll and its amendments. For vehicles in the R1 toll-rate category, including all vehicles with a maximum weight of up to 3,500 kg, the tunnel toll is 7.80 EUR (6.39 EUR excl. VAT).
The tunnel toll is paid at the Hrušica toll booth. The following payment methods are available:
- cash payment,
- credit card,
- debit card.
The tunnel toll can be paid by purchasing a point card. MORE
E-vignettes are not valid in the tunnel, since the tunnel is excluded from the toll collection system for a specific duration of using toll roads. The tunnel toll for vehicles with a maximum weight of up to 3,500 kg must be additionally paid at the Hrušica toll station.
The point card
The point card is a payment method for the Karavanke tunnel tolls for frequent users. By purchasing the point card, the user gets 14 passaged through the Karavanke tunnel at a discount price of 35.10 EUR (28.77 EUR excl. VAT). The point card is not transferable and it is linked to the vehicle registration number; it is valid for 30 days from the date of issue. The point card can be purchased at the Hrušica toll station.
For using the point card, the following terms and conditions apply:
- The Value Voucher applies for vehicles in the first toll class category with a maximum permissible weight of up to 3,500 kg. The expiration date is provided on the front of the card.
- It is not possible to pay the toll for several vehicles at the same time with the same card.
- The card's value is discharged in accordance with the valid price list and may change during the card’s validity.
- The card validity cannot be extended.
- The unused value cannot be cashed in.
- A lost card cannot be replaced with a new one.
The transfer of points to a point card linked to another registration number is possible in the following cases:
- the vehicle is not in a drivable condition (the user provides the Police minutes about the road accident),
- the vehicle has been sold (the user provides the purchase contract),
- the vehicle is undergoing maintenance (the user provides an original work order),
- the vehicle has been removed from the record of registered vehicles (the user provides adequate official evidence).
To transfer the points to another point card linked to a different registration number, the user must provide adequate evidence and the invoice for purchasing the point card. The transfer is not possible before the evidence is provided and the point card can only be renewed once in the time of its validity. In case of misuse, the card becomes void and is revoked.
Do not expose the card to heat or magnetic fields, do not fold the card and pay attention to the expiration date.
You can get information about the card’s unused value from the teller at the Hrušica toll station.